The new school year is fast approaching, and one of the biggest challenges children are facing is going back to school without a complete set of supplies. These are essential items and basic items needed for a well-rounded education.
Ottawa Valley Meats (OVM) has stepped in to help this cause by donating 20 backpacks to Banff Community House to support their Operation Backpack initiative. These backpacks will be filled with school supplies for 20 children who need their help the most. The kids in this situation are going into grades 7 & 8, living within the Banff Community. A lot of these kids don’t have the means to get the most essential tools for education. They can’t afford paper, pencils, and even books to help them do their homework. These school supplies will make a big difference in the life of these children as they enter into new grades. To find out more about this initiative, visit: http://www.banffcommunityhouse.ca/.
Banff Community House is a non-profit organization that is currently collecting and distributing school supplies to children who might not otherwise have them to prepare for the upcoming school year. The goal of Operation Backpack is to help these children get the well-rounded education they deserve, even if their families don’t have the financial means to provide it for them. Operation Backpack was started to support the people who live within the Banff Community Housing Project. You can learn more at: https://banffcommunityhouse.ca/
Ottawa Valley Meats is an example of how local businesses can make a difference in someone’s life. They are helping Canadian children get the resources they need to succeed with charity. This is just one of many things that OVM does to help out in the community. Other examples include donating meat products for food banks and contributing to several fundraising events throughout Ottawa, Toronto, and Montreal.
“The power of one person or business can make a difference in the life of someone else, both big and small.” Says Darius Campeau, Owner and Founder of Ottawa Valley Meats.
Sometimes we think that individuals are powerless. We think that the only way to make a difference in our world is through large-scale actions and events. But this isn’t true. Each of us has an important role to play, and even though we might not be changing the world, we are certainly making a difference in someone else’s. It all begins with you and me; it doesn’t matter if it’s a small act of kindness or something bigger; we all have the power to make a difference.
There are many ways you can get involved to make a difference in your community and other communities around the world.
1) Visit the Banff Community Website website and donate school supplies to help kids who need them. You can also organize local schools to donate to.
2) Reach out to your local businesses or organizations with bags of clothes or other items that kids need for back-to-school.
3) Host a fundraiser for Operation Backpack by reaching out to family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, and more to donate.
4) Spread the word about this initiative by using social media – tweet about Operation Backpack on Twitter, share an Operation Backpack Facebook status update with all your friends, or share a video on YouTube to get the word out.
5) Organize other kids to help raise money for Operation Backpack by holding a bake sale at school, organizing a car wash, or selling products door-to-door.
6) Write letters and postcards to send to Prime Minister Trudeau and your local Member of Parliament to find out what they are doing to help make poverty in Canada and our communities a thing of the past.
It is essential to be mindful of the needs of others, and it doesn’t matter how big or small your action may seem. Whether you’re donating money, clothing, food items, or school supplies – there are many ways in which a person can make an impactful difference in this world. Ottawa Valley Meats is just one example of a company that has made giving back its mission.